You will absolutely LOVE this Savory Sausage and Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash. Perfect for a weekend brunch OR week day breakfast prep! Have it on its own, or topped with a fried egg and sliced avo!
I made this three weeks in a row for my work day breakfast meal prep and I feel like it got better with each batch! The ingredients are super simple:
- Pastured ground sausage
- Sweet potato
- Bell pepper
- Green onion
I served it with eggs and avocado, and it was truly what dreams were made of — a delicious, balanced and quick breakfast that fueled me up for my day! I truly believe you don’t have to eat boring or bland, in order to eat “healthy” or meet your health goals.
Now, you know I’m a big fan of the plate method, and this meal is an excellent example of that with all components accounted for:
- Protein: sausage (and eggs)
- Fat: sausage (and avo)
- Carbs: sweet potato
- Non-starchy veggies: onion, garlic, bell pepper, green onion, kale
Ensuring my meals (especially breakfast) contains a good balance of these components has helped me feel so much more satisfied from my meals! My hunger is regulated, my blood sugar isn’t on a crazy up and down rollercoaster, and I find my energy levels are more focused. I don’t constantly feel like I need a snack or quick sugar rush, because of the mix of protein, fat, carbs, and fiber-rich (non-starchy) veggies.
Now, does EVERY single meal look like this? No! Actually, yesterday morning Tyler and I spent some time at a coffee shop for a slow start to the weekend. I had one of their banana blueberry muffins for “breakfast”, and nothing else, and later that day realized I was SO MUCH HUNGRIER than normal. Not only had I not eaten enough in general, but my muffin also lacked a balance of protein, fat and fiber to match the carbs.
Knowledge is power, food is fuel (and also fun, no doubt)! I truly believe when you understand the role that food play in your life — from your mood, hunger levels, energy, recovery, even your hormones — you are empowered to make choices from a place of education and understanding.
Anyway — back to this Savory Sausage and Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash 🙂 believe me when I say you’ll love it, whether it be for a week day meal prep situation, or a slower Saturday brunch option.
We used local pasture-raised ground sausage from Hickory Nut Gap, but you could also use something like ground turkey as well! Shoot, you could even slice up some chicken sausage if you wanted — make it your own! This Brown Sugar and Maple pastured ground pork from White Oak Pastures sounds especially yummy.
Savory Sausage and Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 1 lb ground sausage (We love our local pasture-raised pork from Hickory Nut Gap)
- 1 sweet potato, large, diced
- 2 bell peppers, deseeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bunch kale, destemmed and chopped Can also use frozen kale
- Handful fresh basil, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by cooking sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up into small crumbles as it cooks. Once fully cooked, remove from skillet and set aside in a bowl.
- Add oil to skillet if needed (I just left some fat from the sausage), then add in diced onion and saute for 2-3 min until translucent. Add in minced garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Add in remaining veggies (except green onion); cook until softened (~10 min), stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add cooked sausage back to skillet, stir everything together and garnish with green onion before serving.